In response to overwhelming demand, Trail-Gear is now offering fully built rear axles! These feature our world renowned Rock Assault™ Axle Housings, our complete Rear Disc Brake Kit, Chromoly Axle Shafts, Bearing Pockets, Rear Axle Bearing Service Kit and all the necessary nuts and studs, all fully assembled by our Master Mechanics according to your specifications!
Rock Assault™ Rear Axle Housings provide unparalleled strength due to the 5/16” thick, high strength DOM axle tubes that engage 5/8” further into the center section and the 360° gusset welded around the tubes on the inside of the housing. The Trail-Gear Rock Assault™ Axle Housings also feature axle tubes that have been offset above the housing centerline to allow the inner axles ride near the bottom of the axle tubes rather than in the center. The results are an increase of 3/8″ ground clearance under the axle tubing. The heavy-duty, press formed, 1/4″ plate steel center section shell is specially shaped to ensure a minimum of 3/4″ additional clearance under the differential. The differential mounting surface is made from ½” plate steel to ensure studs cannot pull out, even under heavy loads. The outer offset flanges are made from 4130 Chromoly to prevent distortion or bending. Housings are precision aligned using start-of-the-art, 3D digital imaging equipment.
Made entirely of brand new parts, these axles feature everything you need hub-to hub! This is a fully assembled rear axle made entirely of brand new, upgraded components, not refurbished junkyard parts. You choose the Axle Width and desired differential and we do all the assembly. All you’ll need to do is weld on your perches, install it on your vehicle, add the wheels and Rock the Trail! Save the time, money and hassle of ordering each component separately and building it yourself. We’ve already taken care of it!
Customize each axle to exactly what you need with your choice of:
- Axle Width
- These fully built axles are bare and designed for leaf spring applications only! No other bracketry should be welded onto assembled axles. If you are interested in purchasing this kit for 3-link or 4-link applications, we can send all components for your assembly. Please contact our Sales staff for details.
- In order to achieve full ground clearance, you will need to grind the bottom of the differential housing flange flush with the axle housing!
- Follow Ring & Pinion break-in instructions listed below. Failure to do so will void warranty.
Ring and Pinion Break-In Procedure:
New 3rd members require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. Any overloading or over-heating during this period can cause the gear oil to break down resulting in ring and pinion failure.
- After installation, drive lightly for 20-30 minutes and then allow the differential to cool for at least two hours
- Avoid heavy throttle use during the first 500 miles
- Do not tow a trailer during the first 500 miles
- Change oil after 500 miles to remove any particles suspended in the oil
This may seem unnecessary but it is very easy to damage the differential by loading it before the gear set is completely run in. New ring and pinion gears create excess heat when they are new. This excess heat can damage the heat treatment of the gears.